Mustang superintendent suspends 122 students involved in anti-ICE walkout protest.

In a social media post on Wednesday, Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt claimed over 100 students had been suspended over their involvement in a Feb. 5 walkout.
MUSTANG, Okla. -In response to a student walkout protesting Immigration and Customs Enforcement at Mustang High School, several dozen students have been suspended by the district, according to a social media post by Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt.
In a post made by the governor on Wednesday, Stitt claims 122 students were suspended, and thanked district leaders for their actions. Mustang High School’s student-led walkout was one of many across the state, with multiple school districts reporting similar student demonstrations.
News 9 reached out to MPS, which released a statement in response.
“Mustang Public Schools is aware of recent statements issued by Oklahoma lawmakers regarding student walkouts that have occurred across the state,” the statement said. “We are grateful to Senator Paul Rosino, State Superintendent Lindel Fields, and Oklahoma Secretary of Education Dan Hamlin for reaching out to learn the facts surrounding the student walkout at Mustang High School and allowing us, as the local school district, to respond to this situation based on verified information and established policy.”
MPS says multiple students, although an exact number was not stated, were assigned In-School Suspension for unexcused absences that resulted in missed instructional time stemming from the walkout.
“No student was disciplined for the content of their speech or viewpoint,” the statement said. “Consequences were applied for leaving class and missing instruction during the school day.”
Additionally, the district addressed claims that MPS faculty were involved in the protest.
“Despite social media claims alleging adult involvement, district leadership reviewed all allegations and found no evidence that any Mustang Public Schools employee instigated, organized, or facilitated this student activity,” the statement said. “Individuals identified in online posts as district employees were either not affiliated with Mustang Public Schools or were inaccurately represented.”
In the days following the protests, state lawmakers reached out to the Oklahoma State Department of Education in a letter, demanding an official response from the agency leaders and seeking accountability for actions the lawmakers say “undermined respect for lawful authority.”
